Thursday, March 3, 2011

Predetermined pathways

Sometimes I wonder if we try to pre-determine pathways at the expense of other opportunities.
This morning I had planned to get up and go for a run through the botanical gardens. I didn't really know how to find them, and upon asking at the lobby, was shown a map in chinese and told it was 'that way'. So, I set off, looking for the said gardens. If this was to be an assessment activity where I was judged on my ability to find the gardens, I would have failed miserably. However, what I did experience was pretty amazing - things I wouldn't have seen had I been in the gardens. I ran alongside a river, through some amazing streets with the architecture that reminded me of Star Wars. I passed the home of the Singapore F1 GP and ran through the chequered flag. I ran through tunnels, over bridges, past some interesting shops and food courts.
So I guess what I'm saying is, I got to experience things I hadn't thought of or imagined before I stepped out the door this morning. I still achieved my overall goal of going for a decent run to start the day, but didn't make the botanical gardens.
Oh well, I could always try again tomorrow - who knows what I might find!

No comments:

Post a Comment